Monday, January 30, 2012

Preplaster Building Inspection - 'It's not going to fall down!'

Had the Preplaster Inspection done on Wednesday. Thankfully was able to get half a day off work to go. I wanted to go to learn more.. didn't really learn that much but better than nothing. I would have liked him to give me a commentary on what he was looking at, but he really only pointed out things that were incorrect. And when he did point out the things that needed fixing, sometimes I didn't know what he was talking about - lintels? what?! If only I were a building inspector - he earns so much! About $900 for 90 mins of work.

When I arrived, noticed that the front doors had finally been put in. (And no, my doors aren't green as dumbo P thought they were - they get painted over).This is more like lock up!

I finally got to see and speak to some of the tradies - plumbers, electricians and carpenters were there. Plumber had been doing work for George for 7 years. Spoke highly of George, and also Dale, didn't really seem to like Dan much.

I was a bit annoyed when I got there to find out that the electrical was still being done (I was told it would be done the day before) so my building inspector wasn't able to look at all the frames after they had been drilled/cut into. Although in a way, it was also good because I could check and rectify any mistakes. They had missed a powerpoint. I also found out that they would be working on Australia Day so I stopped by to check again.

Kevin's overall impression was 'It's not going to fall down!'. Okay he was saying that in a joking manner, but he doesn't know what a stress head I am! I think he was quite happy with the way it was going. He mentioned how normally he with the bad sites, the site supervisor won't even talk to him because they won't know what he's talking about. Dale was good in that he approached Kevin and asked him to talk about the faults along the way so that he could rectify it. I found out that Dale was a carpenter by trade.

Some of the things Kevin mentioned that I understood:
1. Some of the door opening studs needed to be blocked ie have a block in between, so that it wouldn't move when the door was opened/closed.2. The pipes shouldn't be secured to the wall otherwise it may cause water to leak into the plaster.3. The SmartJoists shouldn't be cut into.
I think the main things I'm concerned about is what I was originally concerned about with the engineering - and that was the flooding of the houses.
- DW1: waterproofing of the stairs leading to the garage
- DW2: waterproofing of DW1 garage and DW2 masterbedroom. But I think that's more the fault of the engineering. With the engineering, I was more concerned about the flooding of DW2, that I didn't think about DW1 POS - it only has a small grate...

We'll see how it goes in time to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment